Grants for curators
|The Künstlerhaus Lukas awards two three-month, four two-month and one-month curator scholarships for the development and realization of selected projects, including the works of former scholarship holders in encounters with other artists. |
The aim of these scholarships is to carry out outstanding cross-disciplinary concepts in the fields of fine arts, literature, composition and dance / performance at the premises of the Neue Kunsthaus in Ahrenshoop. The simultaneous meeting and joint work of curators and artists should strengthen the connection between art genesis and art presentation and convey contemporary art to the public.
The following application options for curatorial fellowships exist in the funding period of two years:
► 2 three-month curator fellowship on the topic of environment and sustainability
(ecologically and in terms of peaceful coexistence)
Every year, a project on the subject of sustainability can be developed and implemented in the connection between art and the environment. Project partners are the Neue Kunsthaus and the Verein der Nationalpark Vorpommersche Boddenlandschaft.
It is requested to submit a concept that can be realized in the premises of the Neue Kunsthaus and, if necessary, including the landscape or the location and its inhabitants. In the connection of art and the environment, the project proposal should also have the first ideas for a possible accompanying program, including specialist speakers to be integrated later, film presentations, hikes, actions or similar.
Environmental issues are the relationship between humans and nature in a wide variety of contexts. The aim is to provide a public platform for the burning issues of our time from this complex of topics in order to involve politicians, producers and consumers in the common reflection and responsibility.
• The three-month curatorial fellowship for the connection between art and the environment are endowed with 3000 euros, consisting of a grant of 2000 euros from the Künstlerhaus Lukas and a project fee of 1000 euros from the Neues Kunsthaus.
• To realize the project of this main theme, a budget of up to € 4,000 is available for travel and accommodation costs, transport, event fees and exhibition design (each after confirmation of the annual budget). Submissions to environmental foundations are very welcome after the nomination.
► 4 two-month curator scholarship for interdisciplinary topics
Each year a project of a thematic group exhibition (with up to six participants) and a double exhibition (two individual items) are funded. In addition to the development of innovative forms of presentation for contemporary art, their concern is the professional communication to the public in a place with a great historical tradition. The sustained development and presentation of the works of the scholarship holders of the Künstlerhaus Lukas in a continuing, international and interdisciplinary context will be a special feature, especially in Ahrenshoop, but will strengthen the perception of contemporary art as a whole.
• The two-month curatorial fellowship are endowed with 2,000 euros, consisting of a scholarship money of 1,000 euros from the Künstlerhaus Lukas and a project fee of 1,000 euros from the Neues Kunsthaus.
• For the realization of the projects, a budget of up to € 3500 is available for the group exhibition for up to six participants and a budget of € 2,000 for the double exhibition for travel and accommodation costs, transport, event fees and exhibition design (each after confirmation) of the annual budget). Self-submitting applications can be supported after the nomination.
► 1 one-month scholarship for the design of the exterior of the Neue Kunsthaus
This scholarship enables the curation and realization of the redesign of the exterior of the Neue Kunsthaus with the participation of a former scholarship holder.
a scetch of the exterior you can find here.
• The one-month curator scholarship is endowed with 1,800 euros, consisting of a scholarship money of 1,000 euros from the Künstlerhaus Lukas and a project allowance for transport and material costs of 800 euros from the Neues Kunsthaus.
Concrete possibilities on site
• The guest curators live in the Künstlerhaus Lukas during the three- or one-month scholarship and project stays and are part of their scholarship program.
• The first half of the allocated residence time is available for the free development of the project and the second half for the realization (in this case additional work for the press and public relations, billing of the budget) and mediation to the public in the Neue Kunsthaus.
• In addition to the exhibition design, the construction and the opening of the exhibition, it is particularly desirable to have integrated events such as readings, performances, talks etc.
• A guest room is available for invited participating artists and speakers in the Künstlerhaus Lukas or in the Neue Kunsthaus.
General requirements for curatorial scholarships
• Curators, artists and former scholarship holders of the Künstlerhaus Lukas can apply
• If artists themselves act as curators, they can not participate in the project with their own works - there is a strict separation of their own curatorial and artistic activities. The exception is the one-month scholarship for the outdoors, in which artists and curators can be one and the same person.
• Half of the curatorial projects should involve former fellows and new artistic positions to be invited. Information about former scholarship holders can be found under the archive of the website of the Künstlerhaus Lukas. The choice is up to the guest curators. An advantage is the clarification of a possible participation before the application, which, however, does not have to be present when applying.
• The scholarships are selected by the independent jury of the Künstlerhaus Lukas.
• The general funding guidelines of the Künstlerhaus Lukas with residential obligation apply for the advertised months (May / June or July / August / September, September or November / December), including the monthly participation in the internal discussion rounds at the beginning and public open days at the end of the stays.
• The guest curators are ready to prepare, build and open the exhibitions during the project period in coordination with the artistic and commercial management. Likewise, they are willing to perform at least two events per month (guided tours, speakers, film screenings, etc.) and three times a week (Sat, Sun, Wed) to be on site, about two hours each of the visitors information on To convey the exhibition. In addition to implementing the project, the aim is to provide the public with intensive, professional and imaginative information on contemporary art.
• Each exhibition runs three months, the exterior room for two years. For the projects, a contract with all parties involved is concluded.
• The general operating costs and opening times are covered by the Neue Kunsthaus.
To be submitted are a concept for a project to be curated and implemented with a description of the topic and the naming of the participating artists. We ask you to note who was already a fellow * in the Künstlerhaus Lukas.
Further information about the requirements for a scholarship can be found under the following links:
► General funding guidelines